Data Encryption Secures and Protects Data Assets
Secure valuable data from unauthorized access with the AMS’s Encryption feature.
The news is filled with stories about security breaches, corporate espionage, hackers, and information leaks. Many industries face mandates that require encryption while others consider it a business necessity. Nevertheless, protecting valuable corporate assets has never been more important, especially with the increasing number of industry regulations and the fines imposed for each breach.
Any enterprise that has a requirement for protecting data can benefit from the added security that encryption provides, however, it is especially important to the security and surveillance, legal, government, financial, healthcare and insurance sectors. The Healthcare Information Technology Act (HITECH) requires patient records to be encrypted and levies steep fines for breaches. These far-reaching mandates apply to healthcare institutions, physician’s offices, and their business associates, which can include insurance companies, financial institutions, or any company dealing with patient records.
How does it work?
- The Alliance data encryption option is enabled through the Archive Management Software (AMS)
- Meets U.S. and Canadian guidelines with FIPS 140-2 compliant, AES 256-bit encryption algorithms
- Encryption applies to all data stored on optical media and Cloud-Integrated Storage
- Fileshare partitions are specified for encryption through AMS policies prior to being migrated to optical media or the Cloud
- Symmetric encryption keys for each file are generated and protected by symmetric encryption wrapping keys which are generated via FIPS 140-2 compliant random number generator
- License key management is implemented in accordance with NIST Special Publication 800-57 Recommendations for Key Management such that all keys are stored remotely away from the data
- Symmetric Encryption Keys for each data file are protected and stored in an encrypted format utilizing Symmetric Encryption Wrapping Keys for each Archive Volume
Data Encryption Features and Benefits:
- Assures compliance with stringent industry regulations, HIPAA/HITECH, PCI requirements, and more
- Secures data silently in the background automatically protecting sensitive data.
- Prevents against accidental or intentional alteration of data
- Protects data from unauthorized access due to theft or loss of physical media while in transit
- Safeguards business reputation - the cost of a breach may include loss of customers, class action lawsuits, and damage to brands
- Eliminates the need for third party software (Alliance developer-integrated solution)
- Defends against corporate espionage or malicious attacks
- Reduces the risk of regulatory penalties that could result from a potential breach
- Increases confidence in the security of data stored off-site or in the Cloud